Named one of the best affordable suburbs
Savage is among the best affordable suburbs in the country, with parkland, location and education being mentioned as features that set Savage apart.
BusinessWeek evaluated Savage along with other American suburbs that fit the following criteria:
- Located within 25 miles of the most populated city in the state
- Populations ranging from 5,000 to 60,000.
- Median family incomes of $51,000 to $120,000
- Lower than average crime rates
“The focus is not luxury, but rather communities where families can live well for less and enjoy good schools, low crime and reasonable commutes,” according to an article appearing on the magazine’s website.
The cities were evaluated on the following:
- Livability – Short commutes, green space and low pollution
- Education – Well-educated residents, high test scores
- Crime – Low personal and property crime
- Economy – High job growth, low unemployment rate, high family income
Cities received penalties for bad weather, lack of racial diversity, high divorce rates and few children.
While the characteristics of those making BusinessWeek’s Top 10 Best Affordable Suburbs in America list vary significantly, all of the suburbs recognized offer young families an attractive location to raise children and remain close to employment opportunities, the article said. Savage was the only Minnesota city to make the list.