City Code

Most laws are defined in state statutes but cities also have the legal authority to adopt additional regulations in the form of ordinances, which together form the city code. The Savage City Code regulates many activities and uses in the City and provides penalty provisions for violations. 

The Savage City Code is published online and although every effort is made to ensure its accuracy, the only official edition of the Savage City Code is the printed version maintained by the City Clerk. The City Council may make amendments subsequent to the latest online version.  For the most current version, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 952-882-2660.

Access City Code and Ordinances

PLEASE NOTE: You will need to enter the following information:
                  Login:          PUBLIC
                  Password:   PUBLIC

Common Ordinances

Below are a few regulations that commonly affect residents. These guidelines are summaries of an ordinance only. Please see the Savage City Code for the full ordinance or for any other ordinances that may apply.  For additional information on certain regulations, please call 952-882-2660 to be directed to the appropriate department. 

Animal Control

The Savage Police Department is responsible for the enforcement of animal regulations in the City and the issuance of dog licenses.  Please call the non-emergency number at 952-445-1411 to report animals running loose, animal welfare concerns, lost pets, and other animal related issues.  Complaints should be made at the time the violation is occurring. 


Curfew restrictions apply to public streets, alleys, parks, playgrounds, or other public buildings, places of amusement, entertainment, refreshment, or vacant lot.

Children under age 12 may not be out later than 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and no later than 10 p.m. Friday or Saturday.
Children ages 12-14 may not be out past 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, or past 11 p.m. Friday or Saturday.
Children ages 15 to 17 may not be out past 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, or between 12:01 and 5 a.m. Friday or Saturday.

False Alarms

Alarm owners are required to register their alarm systems yearly with the City. Chapter 99 of the Savage City Code provides regulations for the use of alarm systems to reduce excessive false alarm calls that unduly burden the City's police and fire departments. This ordinance also establishes service users' fees including false alarm fees. Alarm users are responsible for reviewing and understanding these regulations before they install their alarm system. Please visit the Savage Police Department for additional information and to register an alarm system.   


The following are some examples of nuisances and should be reported:

  • Accumulation of garbage, junk, debris, manure, decayed food or matter or other waste that causes offensive odors, unsightly conditions or excessive manifestation of insects to the discomfort and annoyance of adjacent property owners or the public
  • Burning or depositing leaves, trash, lawn clippings or other materials into streets, alleys or gutters
  • Depositing snow or ice onto a public street, alley, sidewalk or trail
  • Outdoor storage or accumulation of junk including, but not limited to junk vehicles, parts of machinery or motor vehicles, inoperable recreational vehicles, metal, appliances, building materials, or other similar items
  • Obstructing a public sidewalk or street
  • Excessive noise in violation of the noise standards of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Minnesota Rules
  • Structures or part of structures which because of fire, wind or other natural disaster or deterioration are no longer habitable as a dwelling or its original purpose
  • Any other material or equipment that may cause blight or an unsightly neighborhood condition

To report a possible nuisance issue, please submit the online code violation reporting form

Parking Restrictions

The City of Savage has adopted ordinances the regulate parking within the city.  Common violations include:

  • Vehicles cannot be parked on any city street or alley for more than 48 consecutive hours
  • Winter parking regulations are in effect from November 1 through March 31. Parking on city streets is prohibited between 2 and 6 a.m. on any day, except as may be allowed specifically by designated signage or by permit.
  • Vehicles cannot be parked on grass.  Parking is only allowed on hard surface driveways leading directly into a garage or one open, hard surface driveway located on the side of the driveway or garage.
  • Vehicles must be currently licensed, operable, and in good repair.
  • Vehicles cannot obstruct a public sidewalk or trail.

Recreational Vehicle Parking

  • A recreational vehicle is any vehicle designed for sport, amusement or recreation regardless of whether it is eligible to be licensed for street or highway uses. It includes, but is not limited to campers, pickup campers, tent trailers, motor homes, boats and trailers, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, go karts, dune buggies, motorcycles, mini-bikes, scooters and dirt bikes
  • No more than 3 recreational vehicles that are in good repair and currently licensed may be parked as follows:
    • In rear or side yard provided a 5-foot setback from property lines is maintained except when screened from adjacent property by a 90% opaque screening fence and provided the area is kept free of weeds and mowed regularly
  • During seasonal use recreational vehicles may be located on a hard surfaced driveway provided that is:
    • Located completely on owner's property
    • Does not obstruct a sidewalk or trail
    • Does not protrude into public right-of-way
    • Limited to 2 recreational vehicles on driveway
  • Recreational vehicles parked outside of an enclosed building may not exceed 34-feet in length except as follows:
    • Recreational vehicle is not parked for a period exceeding eight (8) hours
    • Allowed by a conditional use permit issued by the City Council

Vehicles for Sale

  • Passenger automobiles and recreational vehicles are permitted to be advertised "For Sale" within a residential area provided the vehicle is owned by the property owner where the vehicle is parked and is currently licensed, operable and parked entirely on a hard surfaced driveway
  • Commercially licensed vehicles cannot be parked within a residential district and advertised "For Sale"
  • Vehicles for sale on street or public properties is prohibited


The operation of snowmobiles is allowed on designated trails within city limits. A designated snowmobile trail is a trail that is maintained by a snowmobile club recognized by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. More than 24 miles of trails in Savage are maintained by Scott County Sno-Trails Inc. and supported by the Savage Sno-Pacers. Snowmobilers are allowed on designated trails when in compliance with other ordinances.

Social Hosting

It shall be unlawful for any person(s) to host an event or gathering at any residence, premise or public or private property where alcoholic beverages are present and underage persons may also be present if:

  • The person hosting the event or gathering knows or reasonably should know that the underage person(s) may or does consume alcohol and/or possesses alcohol with the intent to consume it; and
  • The person fails to take reasonable steps to prevent the possession or consumption by the underage person(s).

Violation of the ordinance is a misdemeanor. A person who hosts an event or gathering does not have to be present at the event or gathering to be criminally responsible.

Weeds and Tall Grass

City Code prohibits weeds which have gone or are about to go to seed and the growth of turf grass to a height greater than ten inches.  Property owners who receive notice of a violation are given 7 days to eradicate the weeds and/or cut the grass. If an owner fails to comply, the City will take action to bring the property in compliance and all costs incurred will be assessed and affixed to the property’s taxes. To report a tall grass or weed issue, please contact Public Works at 952-224-3400 or submit an online code violation reporting form.


Accumulation of refuse on a property is a considered a nuisance and is prohibited. Every owner or occupant of a household or business is required to contract with a solid waste service for refuse removal that is licensed by the city. The following applies to locating garbage and refuse containers:

  • Refuse collected by a licensed hauler shall utilize a closed container(s) consisting of a solid, durable material of sufficient size to keep all refuse and recyclables that accumulate between collections
  • All containers shall be kept in good repair and in a sanitary condition
  • Refuse and recycling containers shall be stored in a location as to be out of the public view except for collection
  • Containers may be placed at the front property line for collection but not before 4 pm the night before collection and shall be removed by 8 pm the day of collection


To control noise problems, the City has designated timeframes allowed for garbage collection in residential districts, or construction activity involving the use of any kind of electric, diesel or gas powered machinery or equipment:

  • Weekdays between 7 am and 7 pm
  • Saturdays and holidays between 9 am and 7 pm
  • Sundays between 9 am and 5 pm

The City Engineer has the authority to grant contractors an extension to 10 pm on any day. An extension is granted for extenuating circumstances only.

Noise complaints must be reported at the time of the suspected violation.  Please report noise complaints by calling the Savage Police non-emergency number at 952-445-1411.


The owner and occupant of property adjacent to a public sidewalk must keep it safe for pedestrians and cannot allow snow, ice, dirt or rubbish to remain on the walk longer than 24 hours.

Questions or complaints regarding sidewalks should be directed to Savage Public Works at 952-224-3400.


The Sign Ordinance regulates the placement of all signs within the City and requires a sign permit prior to installing any permanent or temporary signage unless the sign is specifically exempt by code. For additional information on signage, please contact our Senior Planner, Terri Dill, at 952-882-2698.

Sign Ordinance

Temporary Signs

Sign Permit Application

Campaign Sign Information